Recognize Depression Symtoms & Kick it in the Butt!
Signs of Depression!
Aside from the normal ‘signs’ one can easily see and notice on another whom is in a battle with depression, such as constant sadness and constant negativity, the following are a few others which are definite contributors to this awful illness:
- Neck and lower back pain (more common in those with mild or major depression than those without any)
- Regular bouts of stomach ache and headache – those with depression “psychologically anticipate” the worse of almost most and many issue(s) thus, emotionally brought about.
- Weight gain – as many will turn to the negative comfort foods in order to try and raise serotonin levels or simply have the thoughts of “I don’t care” and thus endulge on the negative comfort foods.
- Easily angered – feeling negative adds fuel to the emotions of anger, frustration, short temperance, some become very vulgar, hostile, moody and grumpy, argumentative and irritable.
- On the flipside of the above, one can simply become emotionless – the sense of no feelings at all, neither sad or happy or angry etc etc. Just, nothing. No matter with whom – friends and / or family; no emotions.
- Take to heavier drinking – not always at the level of a typical alcoholic but, more than that one per day, simply in order to attempt to ‘drown out those negative emotions’. In most cases, as noted in the ‘easily angered’ points above, most of those noted can actually be amplified.
- Indecisiveness – simply cannot and will not make simple to difficult decisions and, will await another to ‘make the choice”. If no other around to ‘assist’ in a decision, will actually leave an issue at status quo in order to not have to make a decision be it a large or mild decision.
- One’s appearance on the outside, hygiene, dress attire, as well as noted earlier in weight gain (or the reversal – where one simply will not eat due to not only not feeling hungry but just has no desire to satisfy their nutrient/bodily needs); appearance becomes an after-thought.
- First and always first step, is always discuss your issue(s) with your physician. Never, ever hide these important issues with your doctor.
- Get your Omega 3’s, via nutritious food sources and/or high quality supplementation. WELL known to affect and modify dopamine and serotonin levels (as well as other nutrient benefits)
- Increase your produce intake. Study after study have shown that the color variations and tastes and nutrients that come with veggies, have shown to better enhance one’s serotonin levels
- As well, hit the berries, Blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. All high in antioxidants but as well vitamins, especially vitamin C, which is well known to assist in lowering blood pressure and cortisol levels thus as well assist in combating stress and anxiety. ORANGES as well are a great source of Vitamin C.
- Eat more of the nut varieties, especially cashews, pecans, walnuts and almonds. Great source for some omega’s but also protein and some fiber as well some vitamins and minerals (all which assist in numerous ways) but also the mineral Zinc-which similarly to vitamin C noted above will also assist in battling anxiety and stress as well help increase energy metabolism. OYSTERS are also a great source of the mineral Zinc.
- Lemon balm and Chamomile teas. Know to enhance relaxation of the mind and body, great to have daily. Also assist with better sleep.
- Try getting back to a hobby or some activities that you well know you used to enjoy. More than one as, the excitement of looking forward to as such can be immensely enlightening, ESPECIALLY if more than one as a regularity.
- Sipping some green tea a natural source of L-Theanine., a natural amino acid well known for its function as ‘a brain booster’ and assist in increasing energy metabolism.
- Activate your body’s relaxation response – simply use the deep breathing anxiety reducing-technique. Simply, the technique involves slowly inhaling for a count of 4, hold for a count of 4, and slowly exhaling for a count of 4. Repeat it a few more times, just a few, as you should feel the tension reduce.
- Try and activity or two you thought you would always want to try, so just get out and do it. The feeling of excitement and self accomplishment is immense. And nobody in your surroundings has to know about it except yourself. Thus if it becomes a regular activity, then share it with your close ones.
- Moderate activity and movement is great. The heavy source is not necessary and will only increase tension. But moderate movement will bring on the sense of accomplishment as well better breathing habits as well allow to release some tension at a non anxietal level, and again the feeling of self accomplishment is immense.
- Change the negative self talk to some positive self talk. As time goes on, this will become more frequent. Not to the point of “boasting to others” but, actually talking to oneself and for a change in a positive manner.
- Spend some more time with Family and Friends, even just sitting around and telling jokes. Laughter is a GREAT medicine. Feeling LOVED is even greater.